Summer is now in full swing around here even though the season doesn’t officially begin for a couple more weeks on June 21. The kids have been out of school for a couple of weeks now and the furnace like heat and humidity have seemed to suddenly kick in. This means 4:30am wake-up calls for me and the girls in my running group if we have any hope of getting in a run before it’s sweltering. It also means some long afternoons at the pool with the kids. And most of all it means I have no desire to cook dinner after all of this. This means you will all be getting lots of new recipes like these Crockpot Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches because slow cooker dinner is how I really live my life! And I love sharing recipes with my friends!
How do you eat your BBQ sandwiches? For me it’s definitely with the coleslaw right on top. Maybe you have yours on the side? Either way this coleslaw is a must with juicy mandarin oranges and lots of creamy sweetness.
I used a pork shoulder roast and let it cook in a bath of crisp summer beer all day with a rub of some simple seasonings. The longer you let this go the better. At least 8 hours on low or up to 10 hours. No high heat slow cooking on this recipe which makes it perfect for long summer days.
When it’s finally done remove it from the juices and shred it with a couple of forks. I should have taken a picture to show you how easy this step was. The pork was so tender it practically shredded itself. I also removed the fatty pieces that were still left when I did this so that nobody would get a bad bite in their sandwich. Only the tender juicy fall apart pork.
You can ladle back in just a bit of juice it’s a little dry from shredding but then discard all the rest of it. Place the pork back in the crock with just a little of my favorite pineapple BBQ sauce that I found at Target and it’s done! Whip up a batch of my Mandarin Orange Slaw (it’s easier than you think!) and dinner is served!
- For the sandwich:
- 2-3 pound pork shoulder roast
- 12 oz can summer beer (I used Sam Adams Porch Rocker)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup pineapple BBQ sauce (I found it at Target)
- A package of your favorite sandwich buns (I used King's Hawaiian Burger Buns)
- For the Slaw:
- 1/2 large head cabbage, washed and shredded (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup mandarin oranges, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place roast in crock and pour beer in crock enough to go around the sides but not cover the top
- Whisk together the brown sugar, garlic powder, salt and chili powder and rub over the top of the roast
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours
- Remove from crock and shred with forks
- Ladle in a bit of cooking juice if needed after shredding and discard the rest of the juice
- Return the pork to the crock and add BBQ sauce and let it heat through while you make the slaw
- Add the cabbage and oranges to a large bowl
- In a separate bowl whisk together remaining slaw ingredients to make the sauce
- Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat well
- Serve meat and slaw with your favorite sandwich buns
I used a 5 quart oval crock for this recipe